by Rachael Tanis
adapted from this recipe
1 package Dark Chocolate Cake mix
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 Tablespoons Lock-n-Load Java Warrior Select ground coffee
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Prepare the batter from the cake mix, according to the package directions. Stir in the walnuts. Pour into two greased 9- inch round baking pans.
2. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pans to wire racks to cool completely.
3. In a medium bowl, soak the cream with the coffee for one hour in the refrigerator. Strain the cream through a fine wire mesh and discard the coffee grounds.
4. In a large bowl, beat the cream until stiff peaks form. Gradually beat in the brown sugar, maple syrup and vanilla.
5. Spread 1 1/2 cups whipped cream over one cake layer; top with second layer.
6. You may decorate as you wish. I topped mine with a stenciled design of powdered sugar. You may spread the remaining whipped cream over the top and sides of torte. Garnish with chocolate curls or walnuts if desired. Store in the refrigerator.
Yield: 12 servings
Post a Comment