Cajun Frito Pie
chili adapted from this recipe found on Food.com
1 pound ground beef
1 pound Teet's Smoked Garlic Pork Sausage, chopped
4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons Kary's "Original" Roux
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
4 Tablespoons chili powder
2 Tablespoons cumin
1 Tablespoon sugar
Salt, to taste
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups water
Fritos corn chips
grated cheddar cheese, optional
sliced green onion, optional
1. In a large skillet, crumble the ground beef and cook until browned and no longer pink, drain. In the same skillet, add the sausage and brown.
2. Add oil and roux and stir until combined. Add in the onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, sugar, salt, cayenne and water. Stir until well combined.
4. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until it reaches your desired consistency.
5. In a bowl, add desired amount of Fritos and top with the chili. Sprinkle with cheese and green onion if desired.