adapted from this recipe
Yield: 6 Croque Madame sandwiches
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for cooking eggs
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
12 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
salt and pepper
12 slices of thick bread, such as Texas Toast, lightly toasted
12 slices baked ham, thinly sliced
6 Davidson's Safest Choice Eggs
Sliced green onions, optional for garnish
1. For the Béchamel sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt 3 Tablespoons of butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for about one minute.
2. Whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced and slightly thick.
3. Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup Gruyere and Parmesan cheese and stir until smooth. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, to your taste.
4. Preheat broiler. Place 6 slices of bread on a baking sheet and top with 2 slices of ham and half of remaining Gruyere.
5. Broil until the cheese melts, then top with the remaining 6 bread slices. Spoon Béchamel sauce on top of each slice and sprinkle with remaining Gruyere. Broil until cheese is melted and slightly browned, about 2-3 minutes.
6. While the sandwiches are broiling, melt butter in a skillet and fry eggs. Cook until whites are cooked through, but the yolks are runny.
7. Remove sandwiches from broiler and carefully top each with a cooked egg. You may add salt, pepper and sliced green onions.
8. Serve onto a plate and enjoy!
Looks so wonderful! I can just see the yolk bursting and saucing the sandwich with all of its richness.ReplyDelete
Diana, I passed along your comment to Rachael! She say - try it! She would answer herself but she is busy having a baby lol!Delete